More details are finally coming out about suspected terrorist Sayfullo Saipov who drove a rented truck through a crowd in New York city, killing 8 people and injuring many others.
After browsing through different reports, mainly from FOX News, we have compiled a list of 20 known facts, most of which are confirmed by authorities investigating the attack.
Here Is What We Know So Far:
- He is a 29 years old from Uzbekistan with a green card through the Diversity Visa Program, which President Trump is trying to end.
- He worked as an Uber driver in New Jersey, where he was living as of this summer.
- He was recently banned from working at Uber. Details as to why he was banned at not yet known, though he did pass a background check.
- Uber is in contact with the FBI and has offered its assistance to the investigation into Saipov.
- Uber is reviewing his complete history with the company.
- He drove through a crowded bike path for several blocks before finally crashing into a yellow school bus near Chambers and West streets.
- He was the only occupant of the truck that mowed over people.
- The truck he was driving was rented from a Home Depot store in Passaic, N.J., around 2 p.m. on Tuesday. This was about an hour before the attack.
- After exiting the vehicle, he yelled “Allahu akbar” (“God is great”) while waiving around 2 weapons appearing to be a paintball gun and a BB gun.
- He was shot twice by police before being taken into custody.
- He is currently in the hospital, where doctors expect him to survive.
- He wrote two notes, handwritten in Arabic, and were found near the truck. The notes pledge loyalty to ISIS.
- A symbol or picture of ISIS’s flag was discovered. (New York Post)
- He had a Florida driver’s license is connected to an address in the Tampa area.
- His friend said he met Saipov while they were living in Florida.
- His friend said he was “very friendly” and “very nice.”
- His friend never noticed any unusual behavior out of Saipov, and never suspected him of being radicalized.
- He was generally a happy-go-lucky person who seemed to love America according to his friend.
- Saipov had moved to New York area in order to seek better work opportunities.
- His friend last saw Saipov a few months ago when Saipov picked him up from JFK International Airport in New York City.
The scary thing about all of this is the thought of how many others are in the US just like Sayfullo Saipov. When terrorists are radicalized, they seem to be taught to blend in with the norm of a society for obvious reasons. President Trump has since vowed to tighten restrictions on those who are entering the US to help combat the probability of terrorists entering America.